I am a feminist. I acknowledge we live in a patriarchal society and, therefore, I stand up for and actively seek equal political, economic, cultural and social rights for women.
– Globally, about one in three women will be beaten or raped during their lifetime.
– In a single year, an estimated 150 million girls are victims of sexual violence.
– 38 per cent of all murders of women worldwide are committed by a woman’s intimate partner.
– Over 130 million women living in the world today have undergone Female Genital Mutilation.
– An estimated 1.2m children are trafficked into slavery each year; 80 per cent are girls.
– In 10 countries around the world women are legally bound to obey their husbands.
– Globally only 24% of senior management roles are now filled by women.
– Globally, 66 million girls out of school.
– The #1 cause of death for girls 15-19 is childbirth.
These statistics are shocking, so I try to do what I can.
I am a co-founder and co-admin for Women Going Forwards Not Backwards Facebook page which was originally formed in response to an announcement of a men’s only, Brisbane-based co-working space.
I also dabble in a fun project called Flossy’s Fur Wave Feminism, a web series (under construction) for girls and women hosted by Flossy, everyone’s favourite pink girly-grrrl monster.
For three years I supported the development of the Migori Health and Rights Network in Kenya.
The Migori Health & Rights Network provided health education programs to poor and vulnerable girls and women in Migori, Kenya. This included the Rongo Community Reproductive Health Program which offered menstrual health management as well as procurement and distribution of sanitary pads to girls in primary schools and young women in the Rongo District of regional Kenya.
These activities aimed to address worries and humiliation; monthly absenteeism and poor performance of girls in schools; and improve hygienic methods in managing menstruation.
I provided strategic and operational support in the areas of program development, financial management, marketing and fundraising to Migori Health & Rights Network founder and director Christopher Abuor.